Saturday

Fireworks and Acrostics


-->
Fireworks and Acrostics
Happy Birthday, U.S.A.

How about some fun with acrostics? (Most of these acrostic poems are posted in response to prompts from Acrostic Only.)

Thanks to Acrostic Only for awarding Nickers and Ink four First Place awards and four Honorable Mentions for this collection of acrostic poems. (See blog sidebar for awards.)

American (Dreams)

All created equal,
Men stake their claims,
Ever chasing
Relentless hope.
Individualism is
Champion in
Americans'
Never-Ending

Dreams.
Vacation

Verge of panic –
Assembling the family,
Car fully loaded.
Arriving at last,
Toting luggage
Into new surroundings.
Only one week –
Need much longer.

Oozing

Only for a moment,
Outwardly appealing,
Zealously alluring.
Inside, however,
Neurons fire falsely.
God only knows.

Survivor

Staying power,
Undergirded by
Resolve.
Vigor lasts.
Integrity endures.
Viable values
Outrun mere
Reputation.

Breaking Up

Bypassing
Respect,
Esteem is
Absolutely
Knotted
Into
Ninety little lies –
Gone.

Unstung?
Perhaps.

It’s Only Words

Indeed,
Terminology
Stings.

Obviously,
No one
Likes
Yacking and attacking.

We
Only
Ridicule and
Destroy with
Semantics.

Juxtapose

Jumping
Under
eXtremes of
Truth,
Always
Pretending,
Opposites may
Seem
Equal.
Tropical Depression

Thunder calls,
Raining blues
Onto all weaker
Promises below.
Inside their souls,
Characters
Await the
Light of hope.

Dousing cheer,
Every drop dips,
Pouring weight
Right to the core of
Each hardened heart.
Stop the downfall!
Save the sodden ones
In time for
Overtures of bright
New days.


Walking on Eggshells

Weak-kneed worry,
Always anticipating
Leers and sneers.
Knowing not
If this time
No one can
Guarantee safety.

On the outside,
Nothing seems wrong.

Eggshells crack,
Giving way to
Ghastly
Scenes.
Havens turn to
Enmity.
Love is
Lost,
Sadly surrendered.

Supernatural

Surely, an
Unseen
Person
Eternal
Reigns.
Natural
Appearances
Undermine
Truth, but
Right relationship
Always
Lasts.

Purple Robe and Anemones
By Henri Matisse
1937

The Color Purple

Tints and
Hues may
Exchange.
Cast an
Outward
Look
Over the
Rainbow.

Purple is
Understood as
Royalty,
Properly
Left to
Elegance.

Just My Imagination

Just
Under
Sight, is
Triumph.

Mark it
Yours.

In my own
Mind, I
Always
Gather
Insights and
Notions,
Appraising and approving
Totally of any
Initiative
Outpacing mere
Normalcy.

Posted for a variety of prompts:
Acrostic Only (“vacation,” “oozing,” “survivor,” “breaking up,” “it’s only words,” “juxtapose,” “maya angelou,” “tropical depression,” “walking on eggshells,” “supernatural,” “the color purple,” “the twilight zone: and “just my imagination”)
Easy Street Prompts (“ninety little lies”)
Meme Express (“fireworks”)
One Single Impression (“blue rain”)
Then Sings My Soul Saturday (“4th of July”)
Totally Optional Prompts (“weather”)
Weekend Wordsmith (“sting”)

Please visit my author page on Amazon, where you will find poetry books and more.

6 comments:

  1. Survivor speaks to me most especially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the thoughts behind American Dreams.

    Getting ready for a vacation is always never wrecking, but fun nevertheless.

    I like the thoughts behind Oozing, and the last two lines sums it up beautifully.

    Survivor speaks to me in a resounding voice, and Breaking up is hard to do --- I can so relate to this.

    It's only words, how refreshing. I love the ending, "we only ridicule and destroy with semantics" --- how very true this is, especially as poets.

    When putting "truth" and "pretending" side by side, once can see where opposites may seem equal. Well written! I suggest you used the slang of "extremes" which is X'tremes.

    I love the direction you took "tropical depression", and the last line capped it beautifully.

    Yes, I can see how love causes us to "walk on eggshells", but I would rather walk on them to not experience love at all. I enjoyed this one.

    I don't see "supernatural" as always being negative. I think of God as a supernatural entity, as well as angels, or good people who treat others with kindness. Still I enjoy this because it is very thought provoking.

    I love "the color purple", the book and the movie. In the color purple there was no royalty, but there was plenty of elegance. Indeed, I also like your take on it too. Purple is one of my favorite colors!

    You did yourself proud on "just my imagination", because it is the individual imagination that is creative in and of itself.

    Linda, you really outdone yourself with these wonderful acrostics. I am glad to be back reading and commenting. If this one is long, it's because I had a lot to enjoy. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Amias, I really enjoyed these Linda. If I had a favorite I would choose "survivor".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't always like acrostic poems, but every one of these is a gem. I particularly like the first one "America (Dreams)", and the one written for the prompt "Blue Rain."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really enjoyed your writing. Family vaction sounds as harrassed and stressful as they can be!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!
    You have won 4 BWA's and 4 BWA's Honorable Mentions. Please click HERE to see how your work was presented.

    Your acrostics are amazing!

    ReplyDelete