Thursday

Pushbutton Produce

Pushbutton Produce


“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

Aldous Huxley


A Choice to Be Chewed –

Rhymed Misfire on Dream’s Desire



For years, I dreamed to take control,

To hold the power and extol –

A hundred choices at my call

To be the champion of all.


At last, alas, my reverie

Appeared to me most tangibly.

Yet satisfaction turned to fear;

Another power held premier.


A banal bloke, by some sick joke,

Sent sanity straight up in smoke.

This inefficient cannibal

Left morsels mindless in my skull.


With knick-knacks numbered as the stars,

And pranks parading forth my scars,

He quite consumed my earnest thought

And crushed each concept that I caught.


Why wonders I could scarcely see

Controlled each dream inside of me –

This paradox I pondered spare,

Reducing me to solitaire.


I tried to stand, but stopped to stay,

Thus choosing more to watch than play.

For varied channels drew me yet

To linger at the T.V. set.


A life-worn lesson then did daunt;

Perhaps it tantalized to taunt.

“Be careful what you wish. It’s true.”

How could it be I never knew?



Posted for a variety of prompts:

Easy Street Prompts (“inefficient cannibal”)

Heads or Tails (“sea” or “see”)

…in other words… (“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” Aldous Huxley)

Meme Express (“pranks”)

Monday Poetry Train

One Single Impression (“smoke”)

Poetic Asides (“April P.A.D. Challenge”)

Pumping Your Muse (“Watch what you wish for”)

Read Write Poem (Get Your Poem on #72 – “madness”)

Simply Snickers (“sic/sick,” “stand” and “stay”)

Three Word Wednesday (“crush,” “knack” and “varied”)

Totally Optional Prompts (“solitaire”)


Love poetry? Check out Simply Snickers, a brand-new weekly poetry prompt. Try your hand with weekly prompts! Or, look into The Meme Express for daily blogging prompts.


Click here to visit Linda Ann Nickerson’s poetry and humor blog, Nickers and Ink.


Throughout 2009, please join us at The Heart of a Ready Writer, a Bible reading and devotional blog, as we read through the entire Bible in chronological order.


Click here to subscribe to an RSS feed for this writer's helpful Helium content. If you wish, click here for a free subscription to this author's online AC content, so you won't miss a single post!


Add to Technorati Favorites

11 comments:

  1. Just love the title. yes, indeed, we should be careful what we wish for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff. I liked the sing-song of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "For varied channels drew me yet
    To linger at the T.V. set."

    Have you been spying on me in my procrastination!?!

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew, amazing - everything but The NaisaiKu Challenge?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truth written right here! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "At last, alas, my reverie
    Appeared to me most tangibly.
    Yet satisfaction turned to fear; Another power held premier."
    I relate.
    Very enjoyable rhyme!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Careful, indeed. Too many times I have gotten what I wished for and regretted it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like that! Excellent. And, yes very true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some cool rhymes here. fear and premier, cannibal and skull. Good poem and message!

    ReplyDelete