Thursday

Little for long: A-Z verses from vintage visages




Little for long

Little for long, how at times I recall
Those dearest of days, when they still were so small.
I later look back at the path we have trod
And know it is only by great grace of God –
The hard years we managed to more than survive.
We’ve come through the furnace, unscathed and alive.

Not little for long, they have revved up the clock.
The chimes ring much faster than I can take stock.
Behold, all the answers they claim to possess
To queries unasked. They believe their own press.
And now, though I try to stay out of their hair,
If they were just little, I wouldn’t have to share.

The world, vast and challenging, calls them by name
In tones that appeal to them, young hearts to claim.
And though I believe they have tools to stay strong,
I still wish sometimes they were little for long.
c2016 by Linda Ann Nickerson




This poem was posted for the April A to Z Blogging Challenge and National Poetry Writing Month (NaPoWriMo), as well as these prompts:

Meme Express: “later,” “little,” and “look”
Simply Snickers: "live” and “long”


Image/s:
Public domain photo –
 vintage image

Feel free to follow on Google+ and Twitter. You are also invited to join this writer's fan page on Facebook.

1 comment: