Friday

Happy Birthday, Dear Son

Posted for a variety of prompts:

Easy Street Prompts (“refurbished patriarch”)

Friday Flash-55 (55 words)

Mad Kane (“Dear Son”)

Meme Express (“winter wonderland” or “Friday Freedom”)

One Single Impression (“distractions”)

Simply Snickers (“gold,” “green” and “red”)

Weekend Wordsmith (“ripple”)

Writer’s Island (“slipped through my fingers”)


Happy Birthday, Dear Son


“Anbetung der Hirten,” by Gerard van Honthorst


"Let's go to Bethlehem

and see this thing that has happened,

which the Lord has told us about."

(Luke 2:15a, NIV)


Dear Son Divine of Christmas Time –

A Limericked Call to Give Our All


Between my fingers, spirit slips,

Like long-ago forgotten scripts.

Distractions: green and gold and red

Do ripple through my weary head

The truest Christmas to eclipse.


We echo carols, bon remark,

And pray to find a place to park.

Lord, focus us upon Your birth;

Your gift to recreate our worth,

Not some refurbished patriarch.


“When we were children,

we were grateful to those

who filled our stockings

at Christmas time.

Why are we not grateful

to God

for filling our stockings with legs?
Gilbert K. Chesterton

British author

(1874 – 1936)



Love poetry? Check out Simply Snickers, a brand-new weekly poetry prompt. Try your hand with weekly prompts! Or, look into The Meme Express for daily blogging prompts.


Click here to visit Linda Ann Nickerson’s poetry and humor blog, Nickers and Ink.


Click here to subscribe to an RSS feed for this writer's helpful Helium content. If you wish, click here for a free subscription to this author's online AC content, so you won't miss a single post!


Add to Technorati Favorites

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully done. I love to be free of the distractions at Christmas time. It ain't easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas is so full of sights and sounds, it is almost impossible to find a few moments to clear the head and heart and just listen for that still small voice.

    This is a wonderful reminder,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda....
    You have such a wonderfully creative mind. Thank you so very much for visiting again. And have a Great Holiday...Galen

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s lovely. I love poetry so much, and I read a lot of it. Every birthday my family and friend buy me poetry books. I loved the picture. I’ve already checked out to some of the webs that are mention here. They are all good. I want to learn poetry at the university, but I steel have doubts. I don’t know yet if I prefer poetry or psychology. I know that there is no connection between those two, but I love theme both the same way, and I want to learn something that I could easily find job with it, and ill think it will be psychology.

    ReplyDelete