Thursday

Reach for the beach: A-Z verses from vintage visages



Reach for the beach
(A limericked run on a form that needs sun)


Hey, weatherman! Sound the alarm!

I don’t wish to cause any harm.

But we’ve been locked in

For months, and this skin

May anyone’s vision disarm.



Oh, baby, my feathers are riled,

My temper lost like rowdy child.

The season is ripe;

To raise richer hype

And rush straight for reaches gone wild.



My limbs, they are paler than chalk,

Enough to make little ones squawk.

I’ll waddle the sand

Until I am tanned,

And issue this mantra, “Bock! Bock!”
c2016 by Linda Ann Nickerson



This poem was posted for the April A to Z Blogging Challenge and National Poetry Writing Month (NaPoWriMo), as well as these prompts:

Daily Post: “locked”
Little Things Thursday: beach photo/s
Meme Express: “riled” and “rowdy”
One-Minute Writer: “lost”
Simply Snickers: "rich,” “raise,” and “ripe”
Theme Thursday: “locks”
Thursday Challenge: “straight”
Writer’s Workshop: “baby”


Image/s:
Public domain photo –
 vintage image

Feel free to follow on Twitter. You are also invited to join this writer's fan page on Facebook.

6 comments:

  1. Nice poems and photo

    Have a good Thursday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely limericks!! and a wonderful photo too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute; remembers me of first getting out in the sun after being stuck inside all winter and how white and pasty the skin might look before the summer tan :)

    betty
    http://viewsfrombenches.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda,

    Living here in Southern California, I think we forget that while we are basking in sunlight for most of the year that others are not. We feel so blessed when it cools down and we can shut off our air conditioners. Due to our drought, when we see all the snow and rain falling in the rest of the country, we just wish we could have a fraction of it. If we water our lawns for more than ten minutes we can get reported by the water Nazi's and get a ticket. Most everyone only has dirt in their backyards and brown grass in our front yards.

    The average person here is not tanned either. Too many people getting skin cancer and we have to teach our children that laying in the sun is not the thing to do. Spray tans are what a lot of the younger adults get nowadays. Although with so many nationalities of dark to light skinned people living here we do have all types of skin colors going on out here. Being of mixed races, one would think that my skin would be dark. It was when I was younger, but I stopped going out in the sun when I was 20 and lets just say that was a long, long time ago. So when anyone asks me about being white skinned, I just look them in the eye and say, "Do you know how long it has taken me to get this white skin? I had to work really hard to do this." Usually their jaws drop and they never know what to say. I know so many women out here who would never bake in the sun. The sun here ages those that do. Smoking and tanning are our two biggest no, no's out here. Leather skin does not look good on women.

    I have thought about moving to Alaska when hubby retires in a few years but I think what is stopping me from doing that is the thought of being locked inside with only a few hours of daylight for so many months. Your limericks explain it all.

    So glad you are able to escape and get out into some sunshine. Loved your limericks and how they make one cohesive poem. I think that is fairly hard to do.

    Happy Theme Thursday. Thanks for playing. New theme is now posted.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you! Keep those Thursday prompts coming. (I'll be back!)

      Delete