Sunday

Dog days: Hounded by humidity and losing lucidity




Baby, it’s hot outside. My grandmother used to say, “Horses sweat. Men perspire. Women glow.” It’s an old saying. But lately, I beg to differ.

Dog days
(Hounded by humidity and losing lucidity)

My sprint is spent like long-lost lien.
I’ve showered thrice. I’m still not clean.
We wonder why the summer slogs,
But every day will have its dogs.
I puff and pant like mongrel mean.

The temp has dropped a few degrees.
I venture out to catch a breeze.
If just a mile or three I’d try,
My tales would justify some pie.
But after two, I crawl on knees.

God only knows my top complaint.
For He has heard I ain’t no saint.
A trio of excuses grand
I reconstruct to beat the band
And seek a shadow, there to faint.

Get up and move, you soggy slug.
Go grab that water, gulp and chug.
Then stomp those sneakers ‘round the block.
Your alibi’s a crusty crock.
I stand and shrug, and off I plug.

And still I wonder, as I fry,
Will this entitle me to pie?
c2016 by Linda Ann Nickerson


This poem was posted in response to these prompts:

Camera Critters: pictures of creatures
Mad Kane Humor: “lean” or “lien”
Meme Express: “venture”
Simply Snickers: “tales” (or “tails”), “trio,” and “try”
Shadow Shot Sunday: “shadow”
Sunday Smiles: something worth smiling about
Sunday Stealing: “God only knows”

Image/s:
 Vintage/public domain image.

Feel free to follow on Google+ and Twitter. You are also invited to join this writer's fan page on Facebook.

3 comments:

  1. love your poem and the accompanying photo is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luv your witty write to beat the heat. Thanks for linking up at my Sunday Lime

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only dream of summer heat. I am freezing in an Australian windy winter. A fun poem and what a hilarious photo. Great to see you round the Shadow Shot Sunday meme.

    ReplyDelete