Thursday

Z is for Zaccheus


Scottish fantasy novelist, poet and pastor George MacDonald (1824-1905) wrote such well-known works as At the Back of the North Wind, Lilith, Phantastes, and The Princess and the Goblin. Many popular authors have saluted him as an influence, including W.H. Auden, Lewis Carroll, Madeleine L’Engle, C.S. Lewis, and J.R.R. Tolkien.

Zaccheus
By George MacDonald

To whom the heavy burden clings,
It yet may serve him like a staff;
One day the cross will break in wings,
The sinner laugh a holy laugh.

The dwarfed Zacchaeus climbed a tree,
His humble stature set him high;
The Lord the little man did see
Who sought the great man passing by.

Up to the tree he came, and stopped:
'To-day,' he said, 'with thee I bide.'
A spirit-shaken fruit he dropped,
Ripe for the Master, at his side.

Sure never host with gladder look
A welcome guest home with him bore!
Then rose the Satan of rebuke
And loudly spake beside the door:

'This is no place for holy feet;
Sinners should house and eat alone!
This man sits in the stranger's seat
And grinds the faces of his own!'

Outspoke the man, in Truth's own might:
'Lord, half my goods I give the poor;
If one I've taken more than right
With four I make atonement sure!'

'Salvation here is entered in;
This man indeed is Abraham's son!'
Said he who came the lost to win-
And saved the lost whom he had won.

Last year’s A to Z post: A Zillion Zigzags

 .
 .
Related Items:

Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter

You are also invited to join this writer's fan page, as well as the Chicago Etiquette Examiner, Madison Holidays Examiner, Equestrian Examiner and Madison Equestrian Examiner on Facebook.

Image/s:
Zaccheus
Public Domain Clipart
Creative Commons Licensing
Favorite Classic Poems
Adapted from ClipArt ETC
A to Z Blogging Challenge logo
Fair Use
Add to Technorati Favorites

5 comments:

  1. I'm not quite sure why I'm still on "W" while you are already on "Z", maybe I need to do some catching up. :)
    Great post, actually very great.
    How on earth did you find this? I know about Zaccheus but have never read this testimony to his acceptance by the Lord.
    God bless you now that you've come to the end of your challenge posts. May you continue to enlighten the rest of us, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that...thanks so much for sharing! Great Z word...visiting via the A to Z Challenge...blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poem, which I'd never read before. blog on--nearly there.

    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never read this before - thanks for sharing.

    Congrats on completing the A to Z challenge!
    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I've seen that illustration of Zaccheus before. I remember singing a song in Sunday School, "Zaccheus was a wee little man"--and always loved his ingenuity of climbing the tree.

    ReplyDelete