Friday

Run It Off



Run It Off

Some folks jog to take off weight,
Burning calories they ate.
That’s what caught me, years ago;
Now I stride my woes to throw.

I run in circles, run for luck,
Run a fever, run amok,
Run for cover, run across,
Never just to run for loss.

Cadence calls me to persist,
Sorrow’s symbols to resist.
Counting combos, on I trudge,
Stepping past the daily drudge.

Every mile, worry fades.
My new normal beats blockades.
Mid-run, I begin to swing.
Ever gasping, still I sing.

Seldom do I seek to stop:
Mostly, I am chop-chop-chop.
Could it be I’m overbooked,
Or endorphins have me hooked?
c2017 by Linda Ann Nickerson



Image:
Adapted by this user from vintage artwork.


This poem was posted in response to these prompts:
April A to Z Blog Challenge
National Poetry Writing Month / NaPoWriMo
Five-Minute Friday: “sing”
Meme Express: “new normal”
Simply Snickers: “cadence,” “combo,” and “cymbal” or “symbol”
#atozchallenge
#napowrimo


Feel free to follow on Google Plus and Twitter. Please visit my Amazon author page as well.

2 comments:

  1. I'm your FMF neighbor. Love the poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Before illness felled me, I was a 7-mile-a-day runner. Didn't even take Christmas off. Yeah. Fanatical, eh?

    #1 at FMF this week.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2017/04/your-dying-spouse-300-bucket-list.html

    ReplyDelete