Sunday

Redeemed from Religion - a Rhymed Retelling of Release

Does true faith lead to a religion or something different altogether? Where is liberty, freedom and hope? Perhaps a deeper look is needed.

Redeemed from Religion:

A Rhymed Retelling of Release


I've been redeemed in Jesus' Name,
From every false religion's game.
For Jesus took my sin and shame,
And I will never be the same.

I once was bound, by Bible-thumpers,
Wearing large white-collared jumpers.
These I stitched all by myself,
From fabrics purchased off-the-shelf.

For years, I memorized each rule,
From grandest scale to miniscule.
I'd scorn the mirror when I fell,
Pronouncing myself ne'er-do-well.

I'd glance askance at holy folk,
And think it was the meanest joke.
I knew I'd never make the grade;
And so I built a barricade.

Exhausted, I would try to stand
And measure up to each command.
But, daily, I would face a fault
That brought my progress to a halt.

Now I am loosed from legal ties
That worry, stress, and paralyze.
Once captive, I have been set free
To follow Him who pardoned me.

And here's the big surprise of all:
This liberty comes with a call.
The Lord has lifted my law load,
And I desire to live His code.

I will not follow out of fear,
But, still, I long to persevere.
Obedience can be renewed
By simple love and gratitude.

I've been redeemed in Jesus' Name,
From every false religion's game.
For Jesus took my sin and shame,
And I will never be the same.

c2008 by Linda Ann Nickerson

No comments:

Post a Comment